Monday, March 2, 2009

I’m sorry, I swear, but I doubt I’ll do better. Or: Lots of stuff about Prince.

After an uncharacteristically fruitful January (16 posts!), I really dropped the ball in February with that one lone post. I would like to promise that I'll pick up the pace again, but to be honest, I'm busy and I don't have anything particularly interesting to write about.

But in the meantime, to make up for it, I suggest you watch the following videos from An Evening with Kevin Smith, in which Smith recounts the week he spent at Paisley Park trying to make a documentary about Prince. And yes, Prince is as weird and/or awesome as you'd think.

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Part 4:


This whole thing really reminded me of that Chappelle Show skit with Charlie Murphy talking about the night he and his friends played basketball against Prince and the Revolution. I assumed the story was made up, but now I'm not so sure.

And I cannot suggest strongly enough that you watch the video for Prince's "Batdance" that Smith references at the very end, click here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

On a totally unrelated note, I saw a trailer for this movie '9' before Coraline this weekend. It has your boy Crispin Glover in, so I thought you might want to check it out: http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/9/

Scott said...

Wow. I hadn't heard about that. I'm not really sure what to make of that. At first I thought it looked awesome, then stupid, then kind of awesome again. Now I don't know what to think. I guess I do have until September to decide.

Thanks for the heads up.

Speaking of as yet unreleased movies, have you seen the early reviews of Watchmen?

Unknown said...

You know, that's almost exactly my reaction to watching the trailer. I thought it looked awesome, then goofy and ridiculous, and then they listed all the talent involved and I just felt confused. I'm concerned it being left in the hands of a rather novice director (who did the 6-minute short film the whole thing is based on), but who knows.

Nah, I'm kind of avoiding reviews of watchmen right now, as I'm going to a friday screening of it. If Pajiba puts one up I might read it, but that's about it. You think you're going to try to do any Pajiba-related activity when they're in town? Oh yeah, that reminds me...Japanese rock night at the Elysium has been expanded to 2 nights this year. Hopefully I can finally make at least one of them.